Only 26 franking machine suppliers are authorised by Royal Mail to operate in the UK. These 26 companies consist of 4 manufactures: Pitney Bowes, Neopost, FP Mailing & Frama and 22 other independent suppliers.
Below we take a look at the 10 most popular companies*, including the 4 manufactures, along with a list of the other 16 independent suppliers.
1. Pitney Bowes
Pitney Bowes is an American company that is authorised to both manufacture and supply franking machines in the UK. They offer:
- A full range of franking machines from their basic DM60 to the advanced SendPro P Series.
- Franking machine rental contracts with prices from £17.99 (+VAT) per month.
- Maintenance and inspection included in rental agreements.
- Machines that use the latest Mailmark technology, for the lowest possible postage prices.
- A large range of other products and services from folding and inserting to address management to mail and parcel sorting.
Full Profile: Pitney Bowes Franking Machines
Neopost was founded in the UK, but is now headquartered in France. They both manufacture and supply franking machines across the UK. They offer:
- A full range of franking machines from their basic IS-280c to their advanced IS-6000.
- Leasing contracts starting from Withheld at Neopost’s request.
- All Neopost machines support Mailmark.
- Machines can be re-credited on-line with postage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- A large range of complimentary products including: Folder Inserters, Letter Openers and Envelope Printers.
Full Profile: Neopost Franking Machines
Francotyp-Postalia is a German company that is authorised to manufacture and supply franking machines to UK customers. They offer:
- A full range of franking machines from their basic PostBase Mini to their high-end PostBase One.
- Machines that use the latest Mailmark technology.
- Download postage 24/7 via WiFi.
- Models in many different colours to suit your office.
- Also offer Folder Inserters, Postal Scales, and a variety of software solutions.
Full Profile: FP Mailing Franking Machines
Frama is a Swiss company and the smallest of the authorised UK manufactures of franking machines. They offer:
- Matrix F series franking machines that offer everything from the low-volume F12 to the high-volume F82.
- Exclusive OneTouch function for each Royal Mail product.
- Machines use the latest Mailmark technology.
- Automated postal tariff updates.
- Also offer: Letter Openers, Folder Inserters, and MailRoom Security products.
Full Profile: Frama Franking Machines
The most popular and one of the highest rated independent franking suppliers in the UK.
- Offer mailcoms branded Pitney Bowes franking machines including: Mailstart+, Mailbase and SenPro series.
- Supply ink, labels and supplies for Pitney Bowes, Neopost, FP Mailing and Frama machines.
- Authorised by the Royal Mail to maintain and inspect franking machines.
- Score 9.5 out of 10 on Trustpilot.
- Offer a unique Refill Reset Service.
6. The Mailing Room
- Offer Pitney Bowes & FP Mailing machines under their own branded IRIS, EOS and ECO ranges.
- Claim to be the UK’s largest independent supplier.
- Have 7,000 customers nationwide from SMEs to the Public Sector.
- Sell consumables (ink, envlopes, etc.) for FP Mailing and Pitney Bowes machines.
- Also supply Folder Inserters, scales, letter openers, shredders, bomb scanners and mailing software.
7. NCS Group
- Independent supplier for FP franking machines.
- Offer a range of Envelope fulfilment and printing solutions.
- Offer postal advice and help with incoming mail processing.
- Supply a large range of other office products including: Copiers, printers, mobiles, broadband and supplies.
- Clients and partners include 02, EE, Toshiba, Mitel, Lexmark and Panasonic.
- Independent supplier offering both Pitney Bowes and Neopost franking machines.
- Supplies the broadest available range of compatible and remanufactured alternative franker/meter ink and ribbon cartridges.
- Supplies other mailroom equipment including folder inserters, letter openers, envelope sealers, scales and time date stamps.
- Leader in security including: X-ray, mail & small parcel, baggage, cargo, checkpoint, mobile and vehicle screening.
- Winner of the Queens award in International Enterprise
- Offers both Neopost and Frama franking machines.
- Authorised by Royal Mail to inspect, maintain or repair franking machines.
- Supplies franking machine ink, labels and envelopes.
- Other mailroom supplies include scales and letter openers.
- Based in South Wales, with partners include Samsung, Kyocera, Fujitsu, and NEC.
- Offer a full range of both Pitney Bowes and Neopost franking machines.
- Sell ink via their Monsters Ink website.
- Offer both Purchase and flexible lease contracts.
- Also offer Folder Inserts and photocopies.
- State that: “We aren’t afraid to call ourselves franking geeks!”
Other franking machine suppliers
The remaining independent suppliers are listed in alphabetical order.
- Offers Ashcroft branded Pitney Bowes franking machines.
- Supplies consumables and other mailroom equipment.
- based in Alcester, Warwickshire.
Digital Solutions Ltd
- Offers franking machines from as little as £5/week.
- Supplies a range of copiers and printers.
- Based in Glasgow.
Document Data Group
- No longer seem to be promoting their franking services.
- Focus on print, document and information management.
- Based in East Kilbride, Scotland.
European Postal Systems
- Supply a range Pitney Bowes and Frama machines.
- Sell and range of supplies and other mailing equipment.
- Based in Meopham, Kent.
- Supply Pitney Bowes machines under IMS brand name.
- Family run business.
- Based in Aldermaston, Berkshire.
Kane Mailing Systems
- Supply Pitney Bowes, Neopost and Frama machines.
- Sell supplies for all brands above.
- Based in Hengoed, Wales.
- Supply Pitney Bowes machines.
- Suppliers of post room equipment to a wide range of businesses right across the South West and Wales.
- Based in Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset.
Nationwide Franking Sense
- Supply both Pitney Bowes and Nepost models.
- Independent Tier 1 mail and print room managed services provider.
- Based in Bolton, Great Manchester with offices in Glasgow & London.
- Offer complete range of Neopost franking machines.
- Supply mail software and services.
- Based in Dublin with Belfast office serving Northern Ireland.
- Offer Pitney Bowes and Neopost products.
- Royal Mail accredited franking machine supplier & maintainer.
- Based in Uxbridge, Greater London.
North Time & Data
- Supplies Neopost models.
- Also supply folder inserters, time management solutions and ID products and systems.
- Based in Lisburn, Belfast.
- Supplies Pitney Bowes models.
- Carry out fully comprehensive maintenance to comply with strict Royal Mail regulations.
- Based in East Kilbride, Scotland.
- Offers both Pitney Bowes and Neopost models.
- Options to buy, rent or lease your equipment.
- Based in Stratford, London.
The Franking Machine Company
- Supplies both Neopost and Pitney Bowes models.
- Offers a variety of financial solutions including lease, rent and purchase.
- Based in Liverpool.
- Supplies Neopost machines.
- Provides a fully managed service from a UK based support centre.
- Based in Reading, Berkshire.
Westmore Business Systems
- Do not list machines they supply
- Claim to offer a range of financing options.
- Based in Alcester, Warwickshire.
Who is the best franking machine supplier?
Unfortunately, there is no one best supplier. The companies listed above are the most popular ones based on search volume, and one is not necessarily better than another. On their Franking Services page Royal Mail state that the companies above:
…have undergone a detailed application process and have been authorised by Royal Mail to inspect, maintain or repair franking machines.
Rates and charges vary between all companies so please research carefully to find the best match for your needs. All listed companies are also able to lease and sell franking machines, however Royal Mail does not recommend any listed company over any other that is able to provide you with a franking machine.
To find the best supplier for you, you’ll need to get quotes from several of the companies listed above. Alternatively, you can use our free quotes service to speed things up.
*Popularity is based on the the number of monthly Google UK searches for the company’s name.